I have to say, I think this stir-fry is one of my all-time favorite recipes. Besides the phenomenal taste and on-point macros, it's incredibly easy to make, quick to customize, and it never gets old. Oh, and it will fuel your gains like nothing else!
Stir-fry is a great way to get the fresh veggies, lean protein, and wholesome carbs of your choice into one muscle-building swole bowl. Customize this simple recipe to your liking, hit the store, and get ready to chow down on some seriously good stir-fry!
FIRE UP YOUR FRY
When it comes to stir-fry, it's all about choice. Here, you can be the master of your own destiny—or at least of your next meal! Just follow these simple steps.
- Choose a lean protein, such as chicken breast, flank steak, shrimp, cod, tofu, tempeh, or seitan.
- Choose a variety of your favorite vegetables. Use at least 3 colors and about 4 cups' worth.
- Make a homemade sauce (or purchase a light teriyaki sauce).
- Select a complex carbohydrate to enjoy with the stir-fry, such as brown rice or quinoa. Pasta made from whole wheat, quinoa, black beans, or buckwheat works as well.
TatsTowzTip: To reduce the amount of olive oil required for this recipe, use a nonstick skillet and spray oil.
LOW-SODIUM TAMARI (OR BRAGG LIQUID AMINOS OR LOW-SODIUM SOY SAUCE) 3 TBSP
GINGER, FRESHLY GRATED OR USE PASTE 1/2 TBSP
RICE VINEGAR 1 TBSP
RAW HONEY OR BROWN RICE SYRUP 1 TBSP (OPTIONAL)
ORANGE JUICE 1 ORANGE
ARROWROOT STARCH 1-1/2 TBSP
RAW CHICKEN BREASTS, CUT INTO CHUNKS 1.5 LBS.
SHELLED EDAMAME 1 CUP
COLORFUL BELL PEPPERS, CHOPPED 1 CUP
CELERY, CHOPPED 1/3 CUP
CREMINI MUSHROOMS, CHOPPED 1/2 CUP
BROCCOLI FLORETS 1 CUP
GREEN ONION, CHOPPED 1/3 CUP
GARLIC, PASTE OR MINCED 1/3 TBSP
EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL 2 TBSP, DIVIDED
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Ensure all of the white clumps from the starch have been removed.
- Set a nonstick skillet or wok on medium-high heat, and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the raw, chopped chicken breasts, and cook for about 5-6 minutes, until the chicken is about 80 percent cooked. (There should be no visible pink pieces.) Set the chicken aside in a bowl so you can cook the veggies.
- Set the same nonstick skillet or large wok on medium-high heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the garlic and chopped green onions, and begin to sauté for about 2 minutes. The green onions should be brown.
- Add the raw veggies to the skillet and begin to sear them. You want some "crunch" in the veggies when you eat the stir-fry, so be careful not to overcook them.
- Cook the veggies for about 7-8 minutes, then add the chicken back to the stir-fry and mix everything together.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and move the chicken & veggie mixture to one side of the skillet to create room for the sauce.
- Pour the sauce into the empty side of the skillet and allow the sauce to simmer. Once it begins to simmer, quickly mix everything together. Instant restaurant-style stir-fry!
- Divide into your meal-prep containers with your choice of complex carbohydrate.